Lord Mayor Pat Darte, Councillors: Martin Mazza, John Wiens, Betty Disero, Jim Collard, Jamie King, Paolo Miele, Maria Bau-Coote, Terry Flynn,
Denise Horne Heritage Advisor Planner I
Carrie Enns Executive Assistant
Lauren Kruitbosch Community Engagement Coordinator
Victoria Butters Deputy Clerk
Holly Dowd CAO/Director Corporate Services
Shirley Cater Manager of Planning
Peter Todd Town Clerk
Scott Rosts Niagara This Week
Jack Custers TVCogeco
CALL TO ORDER:
Lord Mayor Pat Darte opened the Special Heritage Council meeting at 7:00 p.m. at the Niagara Historical Society and Museum, Niagara-on-the-Lake.
LORD MAYOR'S INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME
Lord Mayor Pat Darte on behalf of Council, thanked everyone for attending the annual Special Heritage Council Meeting – to honour citizens involved with local heritage conservation projects.
Lord Mayor Darte recognized special guest Regional Councillor Gary Burroughs; and guest speakers Rick Meloen, Dr. Wesley Turner and Pam Mundy who were presenting Niagara-on-the-Lake's Canada Sesquicentennial initiatives.
Lord Mayor Darte advised the Honourable Rob Nicholson MP, Wayne Gates MPP and Regional Chair Allan Caslin were unable to join the evening and stated they extended their greetings and sent certificates to be handed out.
Lord Mayor Darte stated Council were presenting heritage designation plaques for properties designated under Part IV & V of the Ontario Heritage Act located in the Queen-Picton Heritage Conservation District. The Municipal Heritage Committee – through Council – were also presenting the 14th Annual Peter J. Stokes Heritage Commendations for buildings and properties not necessarily designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. These commendations recognize just a handful of the many properties that represent excellent examples of restoration, compatible design, renovation, good contemporary design, and maintenance.
Lord Mayor Darte stated since the inception of the ‘Niagara-on-the-Lake Heritage Grant Incentive Program’ in 2005, the Town has processed over 100 applications to conserve the heritage attributes of our town’s buildings. A total of $70,000 was provided for heritage grants last year. And over the past several years – with combined funding from the Town and Niagara Region – almost $600,000 has been provided for heritage conservation works within our municipality.
Lord Mayor Darte stated while 2017 promised to be an exciting year in the celebration of our shared heritage, 2016 also held many important celebrations and anniversaries and spoke to the following:
· We are also celebrating Canada’s 150th anniversary Tonight we have members of the Niagara-on-the-Lake Canada Sesquicentennial Committee to provide us with information on the celebrations we can expect to see and participate in
- The Town held a number of community events in 2016 to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Niagara-on-the-Lake Fire Department, the oldest department in Ontario
- In addition to a recognition dinner and open house, special decals were placed on all fire vehicles, an honorary picture was taken of all firefighters and equipment, and new leather shields were purchased for each firefighter displaying their name and department number
- Further, each department held recognition events for their retirees and special tributes were made through Communities in Bloom, The Friends of Fort George, and Virgil Stampede
- Last year, the hard work and dedication of the Working Group for the Landscape of Nations saw the completion and opening of the Landscape of Nations Memorial at Queenston Heights, which recognizes the vital contributions and the sacrifices of the Six Nations and Native Allies in the War of 1812, and commemorates the Council of Peace and Reconciliation held in 1815
- Last year, we were honoured to have Tim Johnson, Co-chair of the Working Group for the Landscape of Nations, as our guest speaker
- The site for the public artwork sits within the earthworks of Fort Riall, offered by the Niagara Parks Commission
- 2016 is remembered with gratitude, and we now look ahead to 2017 and all that’s in store
- 2017 marks the 225th Anniversary of the First Parliament. Niagara-on-the-Lake was the first capital of Upper Canada in 1792 and therefore, we have the privilege of commemorating the 225th Anniversary of that first parliament
- As we celebrate the significant milestone, let us not forget the many contributions of those who came before us and all that has affected who we are today
- We now have the privilege and responsibility of preserving our National Historic Sites for future generations
- The UNESCO Committee has also been working diligently to prepare an application for Parks Canada’s Tentative List for World Heritage Sites – the first step to become a World Heritage Site. In January of this year, the Town submitted an application to Parks Canada, and we look forward to the final announcement of those sites that have been accepted to the Tentative List in December 2017. Receiving this designation would draw attention to not only the local importance of our municipality’s history – but also to our shared common heritage of outstanding universal value to all people
At this time, Lord Mayor Pat Darte called upon Rick Meloen, co-chair of the Sesquicentennial Committee to introduce this evening’s speakers.
Rick Meloen, Co-Chair, Canada 150 Committee introduced Pam Mundy and Dr. Wesley Turner, and announced the following:
Lord Mayor, esteemed members of council, ladies and gentlemen; I bring to you news of great importance, which will have a significant impact on this community, province and the rest of the colonies. Parliament has passed an act to enable the formation of the Dominion of Canada. To bring us news by way of proclamation is Her Majesty Queen Victoria. Please rise for the Queen.
Pam Mundy came forward as Her Majesty Queen Victoria and read the proclamation.
Dr. Wesley Turner presented the background story of the complex relationships and differences that led to the union between Canada East and Canada West that became Confederation highlighting the following:
The Province of Canada was in trouble from its beginning in 1841. Under one government it was not a happy or even natural union of Canada East with Canada West.
During the 1850s, however, the population of Canada West exceeded that of Canada East and continued to grow rapidly. This produced a demand for representation by population, led by George Brown, owner and editor the Globe newspaper and leader of the Clear Grits.
In Canada West, politicians such as Sir Alan McNab, Alexander Galt and the increasingly prominent John A. Macdonald believed in the need to cooperate with Canada East’s leaders.
One idea mooted as the answer to Canada’s problems was some kind of federation and this interested business leaders e.g. Francis Hincks and Galt who wanted to promote trade and railway building to the east coast and even to the Northwest. However, the Maritime colonies were not interested nor was British government.
By 1864, Brown saw that dissolution of the Union offered no remedy for Canada’s problems so he asked the Assembly for a report on possibility of federation. Macdonald leaped on this opportunity to form a coalition by persuading Brown and two colleagues to join and to look into federation for Canada with possibility of adding Maritimes and the Northwest.
The British government by now also favoured federation as way of shifting more responsibilities and costs of defence to Canada.
Meanwhile, the Maritime colonies (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island) were planning a meeting in Charlottetown to talk about union one motive being the heavy costs of railway building which were too much for each colony separately. There it was decided to seek a federal union under the British monarchy, look to gain the Northwest and possibly, even, British Columbia, thus making a new Dominion from sea to sea.
Soon a new nation, Canada, would evolve in the northern half of North America. With all its faults, Confederation has proved remarkably resilient and effective.
In closing, Rick Meloen provided the following update on the plans and activities for the sesquicentennial celebrations, and thanked Council for their continued support, as well as the Ontario 150 Secretariat and the Niagara Region.
Mr. Meloen noted the first event was long past – the living flag – in which over 1200 local students and teachers participated back in September. Our main focus is on the Confederation Celebration which consists of an original play and accompanying musical acts. This will performed at 20 different venues throughout the town during the next 5 months. The first performance will be at the cask beer festival at the agora at Fort George. The first community event will be on May 21 at Niagara on the Green.
The Confederation Celebration events will be free to the public. Our major community event will be on Friday June 30 at Centennial Sports Park in Virgil. Starting at 4:30 there will be a number of different musical acts, the confederation play, circus workshops for children, costume contest, bed race, food trucks and more. The night will finish with fireworks at 10 pm. The festivities continue on July 3 with activities in Simcoe Park and with the tall ships arriving. Two Tall Ships will be here July 3 and 4 for another free event.
The 150 Committee was approached to organize an event to commemorate the 225th anniversary of the first parliament of Upper Canada, which took place here in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Plans are well under way for a celebration on Sept 17. This will feature another original play accompanied by musical performers from Music Niagara. This will take place from 11 am to 1 pm in Simcoe Park. And then the Snow Birds will be bringing their airshow to Niagara District Airport on September 20.
In closing, Mr. Meloen thanked Council and town staff for their support, and further thanked the many volunteers who are making these celebrations a reality.
Lord Mayor Pat Darte thanked Rick Meloen, Pam Mundy and Wesley Turner for honouring Canada's legacy. The Lord Mayor, on behalf of Council and staff, thanked the Canada 150 Sesquicentennial Committee for all of the events that have taken place, as well as those to come.
HERITAGE PLAQUE RECIPIENTS
129 Victoria Street
Councillor Maria Bau-Coote read the following:
The Walkerby-George House, a property of unique cultural heritage, is a rare example of a Gothic Revival house in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Although Gothic Revival homes were common throughout rural Ontario, they were less common in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Many original elements have been preserved within the main house including a three bay façade, center-hall pattern, gabled roof, decorative small steeple, and “ginger-bread” trim. Original interior elements have also been carefully maintained to ensure that the life and history of the home is experienced on the inside just as much as it is from the outside.
The large property size, a characteristic of estate lots found throughout Old Town, also contributes to the heritage value of this property as it is a representative of the ideals of the picturesque concept of the Gothic style. The white picket fence, once a typical feature of dwellings in the area, further enhances the property.
Joseph Walkerby or Edward Thompson likely constructed this dwelling in the 1860s.
Donald George was present to accept the award.
83 Prideaux Street
Councillor Paolo Miele read the following:
The Dobie-Campbell Cottage is a quaint one-and-a-half story residence constructed around 1835. The dwelling, situated in Old Town, was owned by John Davidson, a well-known carpenter who undertook a lot of fine woodwork in Niagara between 1820 and 1860.
83 Prideaux has acquired heritage value due to its representation of a simple vernacular cottage. The cottage sits close to the street which was typical of early colonial settlement patterns in Town. The modest scale, rectangular massing, overall symmetrical composition of the three bay façade, central entrance, gable roof, wood clapboard siding and post and beam structure, all contribute to its value as an early vernacular cottage. Furthermore, the relationship between the modest cottage and its proximity to larger, more stately homes, provides a clear example of the unique early settlement patterns in Town whereby stately and humble dwellings co-existed side-by-side.
An addition was added to the home in 2012 and was designed by local architect Julian Smith.
Carol Beckman was not in attendance to accept the award.
245 King Street (The Irish Harp)
1692612 Ontario Inc.
Councillor John Wiens read the following:
Lot 104 was granted to David William Smith, the first Surveyor General of Upper Canada. In 1797 his house stood near the site of today’s Irish Harp at the corner of Johnson Street and King Street. When the home was burned down in December 1813, the land remained undeveloped for years until the Offices of H.M. Ordnance sold the property to the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1859. The present 20th-century building, constructed around 1913, was known as the Luis Restaurant for many years and was eventually sold and renamed the Irish Harp.
This two-story clapboard building is set right to the street line as were many older buildings in Old Town. Below a flat roof line there are symmetrically placed flat- headed windows, one on each end and two coupled windows in the centre, all with 6-over-6 sash. Additionally, an entablature with cornice is above the large shop front windows.
A one-story addition to the right of the building was constructed in 2003.
Jovie Joki was present to accept the award.
188 Victoria Street
2179578 Ontario Inc.
Councillor Betty Disero read the following:
Following the War of 1812, lot 57, originally owned by Ralfe Clench, remained undeveloped for many years. Ralfe Clench’s wife, Elizabeth Johnson, was a granddaughter of Sir William Johnson & Molly Brant.
It is possible that the current building on this lot was moved from the corner of Wellington Street and Byron Street to its present location in the late 19th century. The building is believed to date back to 1880 and was observed as a private residence for a number of years.
During the 1920s, the building was sold to William John Campbell and became Campbell’s Dry Goods Store. Campbell also owned a blacksmith shop on Queen Street where the Royal George Theatre now stands.
The building, an irregular gable-front-and-wing plan, has a rather eclectic combination of elements. "Queen Anne revival" features have included a shingled gable and a variety of large bay windows whereas the three tall doorways with transoms have a more classical look.
The owner was not in attendance to accept the award.
127 Johnson Street
James Weigandt, Patricia Weigandt, Paul Weigandt, Gary Weigandt
Councillor Jim Collard read the following:
This private residence stands on Lot 99, a lot originally granted to Peter Carr in May 1798. Standing structures on this lot were put to the torch in December 1813 and by the 1830s, the lot had been severed into numerous parts.
It is believed that this lot was vacant from approximately 1876 to the early 1900s and the existing building, possibly constructed by painter, W. H. Curtis, is believed to date back to 1912. It is also possible that the dwelling was moved to the current lot from another unknown location. Further historical knowledge on this property is limited.
This two-story building remains a pleasant and simply proportioned Edwardian style home. After the turn of the century, the Edwardian style became one of the most popular building styles in Ontario for several decades. Typical of the Edwardian style is the symmetrical square house with a wide-eave, hipped roof and an off-center doorway. A commodious porch supported by classically styled columns runs the length of the front façade which is also a common feature of this architectural style. The exterior finish, painted shiplap, is one of the many pleasing qualities of this residence, a residence which contributes immensely to the historic character of the Johnson Street streetscape.
James Weigandt, Patricia Weigandt, Paul Weigandt, Gary Weigandt were not in attendance to accept the award.
Lord Mayor Pat Darte congratulated all of the Heritage Plaque recipients.
PETER J. STOKES HERITAGE COMMENDATIONS RECIPIENTS
21 Queenston Street - Maintenance
Yvonne Pagani - Owner
Municipal Heritage Committee member Drew Chapman read the following:
Built around 1895 by the Prendergrast family, this dwelling is built in the Edwardian style. This simple but detailed dwelling sits on the corner of Queenston and Kent Streets. The building and surrounding gardens are neat and well-maintained and add immensely to the historic village character in Queenston.
Yvonne Pagani was present to accept the award.
7 Queen Street (Exchange Brewery) - Restoration
Robin Ridesic - Owner
Betsy Williamson and Chris Routley - Architects
MHC member Janice Johnston read the following:
7 Queen Street was constructed around 1890 as the Telephone Exchange Building. It is a narrow 2-storey structure constructed of pinkish brick connected to the Niagara Apothecary. In 2016, the owners restored the front façade to a much earlier form in preparation for the adaptive reuse as a Brewery. The roof has a moulded cornice with dentils bracketed at the end. The second floor window openings with segmental arches are original although the sashes have been replaced. The segmentally arched window on the ground floor still serves as a shop front with a simple entrance and transom above.
Mike Barneveld was present to accept the award on behalf of the owner.
Landscape of Nations Memorial - Compatibility
The Niagara Parks Commission - Owner
Tom Ridout - Landscape Architect
Raymond Skye - Artist
Richard Merritt - Co-chair of the Landscape of Nations Working Group
Tim Johnson - Co-Chair of the Landscape of Nations Working Group
MHC member Clare Cameron read the following:
The Landscape Of Nations remains a living memorial dedicated to the contributions and sacrifices made by Six Nations and Native Allies on Queenston Heights and throughout the War of 1812, and inspires citizens to learn and acknowledge the critical role that Native peoples played in the defense of this land and the ability of Canada to remain free. As a commemorative public artwork the memorial also recognizes the historic ceremony of peace and reconciliation held in Niagara on August 31 and September 1, 1815 that restored peace among the Native nations who fought on opposing sides. The unique memorial site, identified and offered by The Niagara Parks Commission, is embraced by the earthworks of old Fort Riall. Following a juried competition of anonymous submissions assessed by experts in history, arts, and culture, the winning design selected was by landscape architect Tom Ridout of Fleisher Ridout Partnership Inc. and Raymond Skye, a renowned Six Nations artist.
Reegan McCullough, Tom Ridout, Raymond Skye, Richard Merritt and Tim Johnson were present to accept the award.
36 Princess Street - Compatibility
Edward and Nancy Berkhout - Owners
MHC member David Hemmings read the following:
The old stone structure at 36 Princess Street was probably built in the mid-19th century or possibly earlier as a storehouse. The wall next to it may be the remnant of a later stable for the adjoining manor. The owners recently completed a renovation of their home which is located behind the older stone structure. The new home was specifically designed to be more compatible in style and material with the older home but without strictly mimicking the earlier building. The result is a harmonious relationship between these structures of recent and early architecture.
Edward and Nancy Berkhout were not in attendance to accept the award.
291 Orchard Drive - Contemporary Design
James Blackburn and Helena Stone - Owners
David Snell - Architect
MHC member Rob MacKenzie read the following:
From the beginning the owners wanted a simple modernist retirement house customized to their interests which included gardening, photography and art. Located on a modest sized corner lot and completed in 2007, the challenge was to create a human scale for the house while maximizing the potential for garden space. The design was developed by playing with cubist forms to step down the mass of the house to create a series of defined garden spaces. Unique garden views were provided from key living spaces to connect the interior and exterior. Overlapping rectangular shapes in white stucco, cedar and black created a collage effect that extended into the garden and softened the hard lines of the cubist forms.
James Blackburn and Helena Stone were not in attendance to accept the award.
361 Tanbark Road (Five Rows Craft Wine of Lowrey Vineyards) - Renovation
Howard and Wilma Lowrey - Owners
MHC member David Hemmings read the following:
Constructed about 15 years ago, the barn at the Five Rows Craft Wine of Lowrey Vineyards began as a place to store farm equipment. However, the owners renovated the barn to become the winery retail area. The hinges on the building were hand-crafted by a smithy in Nova Scotia where Wesley Lowrey once studied viticulture. The renovated barn fits neatly into the rural landscape and provides an excellent setting in which to sample the wines of Five Rows Winery.
Howard and Wilma Lowrey were present to accept the award.
Lord Mayor Pat Darte congratulated all of the Peter J. Stokes Commendation Certificate recipients.
In closing, Lord Mayor Pat Darte stated that after an evening like this, it was evident that Niagara-on-the-Lake is a community that takes great pride in its cultural and historical legacy. Those who came before us shaped, created and invested in this historic community – and we aspire to do the same.
Lord Mayor Darte gave a special thank you to TVCogeco for televising the event, as well as the staff and Board of the Niagara Historical Society & Museum for hosting this meeting once again.
Lord Mayor Darte congratulated all of the recipients and invited everyone to take the opportunity to view the current exhibit and stay for a light reception. Lord Mayor Darte led the singing of O Canada.
ADJOURNMENT: 08:00 PM